Wednesday, July 21, 2010

OFW Should Save and Invest

OFW should save and invest
Many OFWs including myself are working hard in a far away land in order to earn more money and hope that someday we can start a new life in the Philippines with business or savings but I think only few people will realize their dream. Why is it that it is hard to do it?

When I was young it seems to me that saving money is very easy but now I have a hard time doing it. Mulling myself I realized that many things has changed since I was a toddler living in our province with simple life and simple things around. Now the world is full of many unnecessary things that are widely promoted by media. Ads are there to persuade people to buy. In short you could not save and invest because life today is about receiving salary if you are employed and buying things which are not important. If only everyone could go back to simple life, I think they can save money and start a business of their own.

As an OFW or Oversea Filipino Worker, it is hard for us to save money because there are lots of temptation like buying jewelries, electronic gadget and the pride of being an OFW that when spending a vacation, many relatives and friends are expecting us to shower a party and lend money without paying in return. But I think it is not too late not to save money today. You just need to stand and be reasonable. The hard part is when you start saving money. Many people don't save money because of many unreasonable reasons like I have a small monthly salary, I will save later, my wife is working too and she has a retirement plan and so on. My question is when are you going to start saving money?

My answer is now and stop buying those unnecessary things that you don't really need. You have to identify the asset from liabilities. What are these two things? Assets are things that when you buy they can give you more money like real estate, business and retirement plan. You need to study these things too before you buy. Liabilities are things that do not generate money for you like luxury car, expensive cellphone, laptop, very big house. These things that I mentioned in fact will need more money for maintenance.

Start saving by paying yourself first. What is this means? You have to set aside 10% of your gross monthly income. If you could not do it with 10%, start with 5% and readjust it later to higher percent value when you feel comfortable. By the way don't wait for that comfortable moment to come! It is not bad to enjoy your money because you earned it but let us not forget that you are not only living for today so you have to save and invest because as you go older you will have a hard time to cope up. Employment is shaky, it is not a secured source of income. What if you get fire? There are many younger people who can do with your job but are willing to accept low salary.

There are so many things to cover with this topic but I discussed here the basic of financial freedom. Start saving now and invest your money. Do not rely others for your future. Start today and as OFW we should save and invest.

Sponsor Links:

0 comments: